Everyone has that one friend who uses a natural product for something completely unexpected. You react skeptically saying ‘what?! You use dragon fruit as a hair mask? How? Why?!!’
Then a few days later, what are you doing? Googling the benefits and how it rejuvenates and nourishes damaged hair then before you know it, you’re on the dragon fruit- hair mask bandwagon!
Well, now you can be that friend. The one who knows all the surprising ways of getting the most from what Mother Nature’s given us. This time, you’re going to do it with coconut oil.
We have compiled a list of some of the amazing things you can do with this versatile, super-healthy oil.
- Homemade natural deodorant: let’s face it, we can never be 100% sure of what’s doing us more harm than good in our favorite deodorant brand. Over time and with consistent use, all those parabens, stabilizers and harsh ingredients do our body no good. It’s time to show those armpits the loving care they deserve with a gentle yet effective coconut oil recipe. All you need is ½ a cup of arrowroot powder, 15 drops of grapefruit oil and 1/3 cup baking soda. Stir everything and keep adding small amounts of baking soda until you get the consistency you want.
- Natural wood polish: That’s right, coconut oil can help replenish dry wood and bring it back to life. Instead of using the chemical infused wood polish sold at supermarkets, try creating your own with this simple oil recipe. Just add half a cup of coconut oil and mix it with ¼ cup of fresh lemon juice. With your polishing cloth test it on a small area of wood before cleaning the entire section.
- Make-up remover: coconut oil works a treat for sensitive skin types, removing all traces of make-up (even mascara!) whilst moisturizing and feeding your skin with antibacterial agents. Instead of high-street bands which block your pores, coconut oil strengthens cells deep under the surface whilst removing dead cells to keep skin smooth. Put some liquefied oil onto a cotton pad, dampen with warm water and gently wipe your make-up off!
- For a healthier smile: As we mentioned in a previous post, coconut oil is perfect if you want to experience the benefits of oil pulling. Additionally, you can make homemade, all-natural toothpaste by adding 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, 2 tablespoons of baking soda and 10 drops of peppermint oil; it’s the ultimate teeth-strengthening oil recipe.
- Conditioning your leather: whether it’s your favorite leather shoes or a neglected sofa in your living room, why not try coconut oil. Leather is comprised mainly of natural oils and the key to maintaining the look and feel of your leather is to polish it regularly. Firstly, just clean the area with vinegar and water. Then with a soft cloth, rub the oil in. To avoid the leather absorbing too much oil, ensure it’s at room temperature.
- For shaving: let this idea weave its way into your shaving routine. Instead of using soap or shaving cream, warm some oil and paste it onto your legs or desired area before shaving. The oiliness lets your razor glide smoothly meaning you can get much closer when shaving.
- Give your coffee a ‘health’ kick: next time you fancy putting cream in your coffee, use coconut oil or milk instead. If you started to reduce your sugar intake by adding cream, now you can remove the cream by adding something even healthier; coconut oil! Plus there are so many oil benefits such as rich and diverse profile of vitamins and nutrients not to mention the nutty flavor it adds to your coffee.
- A ‘coconutty’ body scrub: a body scrub is a great way to exfoliate and enhance the skin. Use the oil as your base, then add half a cup of sea salt, Epsom salt or even sugar to act as the scrub. Salts are especially effective as they contain minerals that reduce inflammation and flush out toxins from our body.
- Look after your pets: coconut oil is not only good for human skin and health, it’s also good for your dogs or cats. Simply add a spoonful of coconut oil and mix it into their food daily. The oil benefits their fur, breath, digestive systems and keeps their joints healthy. Brushing your pet’s fur with coconut oil can also keep fleas at bay. Plus any wounds can be treated due to the oils antibacterial and antifungal properties.
- Sunburn cure: we all love a bit of sunshine. But too much can leave us wishing we’d topped up on the sun cream. Whenever you’re suffering from sunburn, rub on some coconut oil to heal the burns and prevent your skin from peeling. The oil benefits cuts and rashes too as it promotes collagen production and helps repair damaged skin cells.