Please welcome our new head coach for triathlon, Sergio Borges!
Sergio was formerly based in San Diego, California, the birthplace of triathlon. He has dedicated the last 20 years to studying the art and science of triathlon training. During this time, he has competed in hundreds of races of all distances including 21 Ironman races around the world (9:38 PR), over 60 half ironmans (4:12 PR), qualifying for the Hawaii Ironman World Championships seven times. Sergio has also been nominated as “All-American” by USA Triathlon 9 times.
His coaching has contributed to the emergence of many of today’s top California-based professional and age group talents. Backing his hands-on success are credentials that stand out on the busy California triathlon scene, including:
- Level III USA Triathlon coach
- Level II ITU Triathlon Coach – Junior and U23 Development
- Level II USA Cycling coach
- Head coach of the UCSD Triathlon Team (#1 Women Team 2006-2010)
- Former Head Coach of the UCI Triathlon Team
- Head Coach, USA Team (Elite, U23 and Junior) at the 2008, 2004 and 2003 Duathlon World Championships
- USAT Coach at Collegiate National Camps and Recruitment Camps
- USAT Lecturer at Coaching Level I and II Clinics
- Contributor to three sport magazines
- 137 athletes qualified for IM World Championships in Hawaii
Sergio is known for “thinking outside of the box” when it comes to triathlon training. In 2004 he developed his own method – Inverted Training Periodization and has since perfected it, making Ironman champions, Top 3 in 70.3 races and many AG podiums around the World. Sergio combines his vast experience coaching athletes of all ages and abilities with a fundamental belief in the need for an individualized and realistic training plan for each athlete to achieve his or her goal — from staying healthy to becoming a champion!
With hundreds of satisfied athletes who have come under his tutelage, Sergio is a valuable addition to Thanyapura’s coaching team, and we believe he will help you optimize your potential.
Stay tuned for our new triathlon training schedule with over 20 sessions per week.